April 1st, 2021

Disposable barbecue causes fire on Council litter truck resulting in £30,000 in damages

Members of the public are being urged to enjoy open spaces safely this Easter after a disposable barbecue led to a fire destroying Worthing Borough Council vehicle.

Rubbish was being collected at Goring Greensward in Worthing today (April 1) after many residents spent the day yesterday enjoying the warm weather on the common.

The disposable barbecue, which had not been extinguished or cooled down properly before being left by a bin, caught fire while it was on the truck.


Firefighters were called to put out the blaze but they were unable to stop it destroying the vehicle. It will now cost the Council nearly £30,000 to replace.


As the Easter weekend approaches the authority is putting out a reminder to those who use disposable barbecues to do so responsibly and dispose of them correctly. 


A spokesperson for the Council said: “We are pleased that people are enjoying our open spaces after what has been a long lockdown. But ask that they do so responsibly.


“This example serves as a clear reminder of what damage can be caused when those enjoying a barbecue do not take a few seconds to extinguish them properly with water.


“Please don’t put them in or beside the bin until they have completely cooled down. When warm coals come into contact with dry materials such as card, along with fresh air, they have enough heat to ignite the waste in the vehicle.


“Luckily, no one was injured. But the vehicle has been destroyed and now has to be replaced at cost to the local taxpayer. It will also have an impact on the level of service we can provide when clearing litter in the coming weeks.”

Share this article...


Tags: Worthing

Comments (0)

No comments have been submitted yet.
Why not be the first to send us your thoughts

Leave A Comment








Submit Comment

Thank you for your comments, they will appear shortly once approved.
Content Managed by Inside MagazinesWebsite Crafted by Scaws